The Greater San Fransisco Area

Continuing my quest to travel the world.

It has been my quest to cycle around the world for a very long time, although I have ticked off 16 countries to date, I still haven't achieved the ultimate goal of cycling the world. I cannot wait any longer for the conditions to be perfect, age is catching up with me, so it is now or never.

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia
After our trip to Vietnam in 2012.

Thursday 11 August 2011

I've realised how different I am.

I didn't realise quite how different I am to other women. Sure I do a lot of exercise compared to other women especially 50 year old women, but really I love eating , so I'm sure I'm only doing enough exercise to stay healthy. 200 kms cycling, 10 kms running and 2 gym sessions a  week sounds like a good balance, but I've still managed to put on weight over winter, so maybe it's not enough.

 With this in mind I've decided I'd like to do the "Round Lake Taupo" bike race at the end of November. 160 kms of non - stop hills. I need a goal to train for. I've need to burn off those winter kilos, but more than that, I need a point to my exercise. Now that I'm over 50, I've entered a new age bracket. It's good to see other women doing the same thing - it makes me feel normal, and gives me hope for the health of people in society, where the norm is a sedentary lifestyle.

Niel and went off on our favourite circuit, 105 kms around the back blocks of the Tasman district, the views were spectacular with snow covered mountains and green growth. There were warnings of Ice on the roads, and there was ice on the gravel bits in the shade, but that just made the gravel more solid, so a great day was had by all!


Niel with Mt Arthur behind.


Ice warning

This week there was a late night radio poll on how many children people should have. Well that immediately got my back up. The world's population has trebled in our lifetime. What gives humans the right to keep having kids, just because they can? The world's resources are already stretched to the limit. There's not enough food and water, there's not enough jobs and everyone is addicted to cars, which are destroying the atmosphere and making them fat, and using astounding amounts of petrol that have caused wars to ensure they don't run out. I give credit to the Chinese and their 1 child policy. The world owes them a lot of gratitude. Yet no wants to talk about this because their so emotional about kids. I'm one of 5 siblings, only 2 of them have had kids, my lady boss hasn't had kids, and the majority of my friends don't have kids. It's a growing trend. I didn't think I was particularly different by choosing to go childless, and being thankful for it. But when I mentioned it on the talk back radio - I've been abused. I also realised that there are two sort of women - those that live for their children, and those that live their own lives, and neither understands the other.

I've just had a vision of the women on the talk back radio  Vespa - ing around the world. The vision was so far retched - I burst out laughing.












No comments:

Post a Comment