The Greater San Fransisco Area

Continuing my quest to travel the world.

It has been my quest to cycle around the world for a very long time, although I have ticked off 16 countries to date, I still haven't achieved the ultimate goal of cycling the world. I cannot wait any longer for the conditions to be perfect, age is catching up with me, so it is now or never.

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia
After our trip to Vietnam in 2012.

Friday 28 December 2012

Year of Adventure.

"Have a good summer and a year of adventure", so the non Christmas - Christmas card from my sister said. She really understands me.

Well the "good summer" isn't hard to achieve as it's a heat wave at the moment, and despite the council imposed water restriction, I spend hours watering every day to keep the garden from dying. The Well is on the edge of running dry, but still has water in it - just. Luckily the water storage tanks are full.

It's just past the longest day and I've actually noticed it. I have taken up walking for an hour after dinner in the evening. I love watching the clouds turn pink and the evening coming on. It is so tranquil and quiet. It is getting darker fractionally earlier, but I still have light till 9.30 pm.

An exact replica of my old bike.
 

As for "a year of adventure". Well that looks very likely. Now that I have my touring bike rebuilt and replaced, I am keen to break the spell of bad luck that has plagued us this year, with a tour across Canada. The route is planned and I am busy saving again. Surely we can't have another year of a bike being lost by the airlines for a week, and even worse having one stolen. We have learnt from this misadventure, to be more vigilant with locking them. And racing a bike around the world is not the best way to stay stress free, if you want to travel this way, it  is best to be a bit flexible, so that airline delays arn't so devastating.



Actually we are seriously considering attempting Niel cycling around the world again. Why? I feel like it is his destiny to do this, and he'll regret it forever if he doesn't, especially when other less capable cycle tourists achieve it. I also feel like it is my destiny to make it happen. I'm a great trip planner, and as his wife, I want him to have the life he dreamt of for himself. His Father always wanted  a life of yachting adventures and it never happened, There is no reason why we can't make this world trip a reality. This time though, he doesn't want to do it alone. It would not be a race, with all the associated rules and regulations. However he does want to do a respectable time and not be away forever. The big factor is finding someone that wants to do it too.

Well Christmas is over for another year. Whether you celebrate it or not, it is still the season of hope and goodwill to others. I have many hopes for humanity. There are such a lot of humans in the world, collectively we could do a lot of good for the world, but we don't. I certainly had reason to hope when I was a fundraising collector for an anti animal cruelty campaign last week. Dressed in a fluffy pink pig hat, I walked the streets with a bucket. Yes I know I looked stupid, but it was a choice between the hat or the full costume. I got kids yelling " oink, oink at me without full costume. So many people gave money saying they loved their animals. Perhaps they just felt sorry for me looking like an idiot. After 2 hours my bucket had $100  in it.



Today it has turned cooler, a great day for a bike ride, as Bilbo Baggins says in "the Hobbit" movie: I'm off on an adventure".

So happy summer everyone, and have a year of adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment