The Greater San Fransisco Area

Continuing my quest to travel the world.

It has been my quest to cycle around the world for a very long time, although I have ticked off 16 countries to date, I still haven't achieved the ultimate goal of cycling the world. I cannot wait any longer for the conditions to be perfect, age is catching up with me, so it is now or never.

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia
After our trip to Vietnam in 2012.

Friday 23 September 2011

Go west young man.

Check out our changed trip, in the Route. [For the third time].Actually I prefer to think of it as perfecting the trip. It's a combination of the previous two options. Niel is definitely back on to do the Global Bike Race. It's been his dream for many years, and I didn't want to be the one spoiling his dream. I'm not allowed to follow him, but that doesn't mean I can't meet up with him from time to time, with my bike. That way I won't be hindering his challenge, but I'm not excluded from it either. I still get an adventure, I still get to complete my goal of cycling in all of the worlds Continents.

The advantages of going home at times while Niel is conquering the world is enormous. I can go back to work to earn money and give my work mates a break from covering for me. I can give my beloved cat some love and attention. The house, garden and water supply [we are on a Well, storage tanks, and a pump] are up kept, and we can both look forward to when we met again.

You know when you think about it, going East only has the advantage of favourable trade winds, but starting in Europe in February, the climate is all wrong. If you're travelling a lot from North to South for example [or vice versa], wouldn't better weather be preferable to favourable winds for those times you are going East or West?

If we did our route of choice going East, it would be Winter when Niel started, then Spring in China, then Winter in Australia and New Zealand -not just cold but shorter daylight hours. Then in South America it would be Winter, dicey for crossing big mountain passes, and then the middle of Summer when we would want to go to Morocco Africa - absolute stupidity.

However going East, It's still Winter at the start, heading straight South, it will get warmer and warmer until Niel hits the Spring in Morocco. We'll have Summer in South America, Autumn in New Zealand and Australia, Summer in China, and also when we are in Europe. It's a 'no brainer' as the saying goes.

The bicycle is a wonderful thing. What other form of transport can you so easily put on a Plane, or train, boat, bus or car for that matter, and then get on and start riding anywhere in the world. There's no red tape, no paper work, no petty bureaucrats to deal with and it's so cheap. I couldn't believe the hassles involved in trying to transport my Vespa overseas. As much as I love my Vespa, the bicycle is so much easier.


Vespa Chick Birthday present

No comments:

Post a Comment