The Greater San Fransisco Area

Continuing my quest to travel the world.

It has been my quest to cycle around the world for a very long time, although I have ticked off 16 countries to date, I still haven't achieved the ultimate goal of cycling the world. I cannot wait any longer for the conditions to be perfect, age is catching up with me, so it is now or never.

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia
After our trip to Vietnam in 2012.

Sunday 18 September 2011

Other Training

I haven't done much cycling this week. It's been one of those weeks. Lots of things on, bad weather, and spending one precious day off - simply having fun with it being my birthday.



I got an awesome card from my very talented Step - Father Jim. I hadn't told them about our change of plans and that I'm cycling now, as his card portrays. He's right though, in a way, not all training is spent turning pedals.

Niel said he was uninspired this week. Have you ever noticed that moods can rub off on each other. When one of you is upbeat and insatiably happy, the other becomes the same way. The same thing happens when one of you is down.

Needless to say, Niel's lack of inspiration rubbed off on me, so I put my energies to 'other training'. Sometimes just getting your head around a plan, is half the battle. There's such a lot to think about, sometimes it's a bit daunting. My to do list, and need to get list, never seems to get shorter.

Last year before or mammoth USA trip, I made sure I rid myself of any body niggles that could cause me problems in the trip. I cured my Anxiety attacks with investigating what nutrients were missing in my diet to cause excessive stress. I got injections in feet, which I have already talked about. I started a set of exercises and dietary supplements to prevent stiff joints, but I forgot about my Asthma and that is what caused me the most problems, with Altitude sickness and burnt lungs in the desert, giving me bad Asthma.

So just as important as riding my bike, is staying healthy and sane. I have a routine every morning that I've been doing for a couple of years now. It really only takes half an hour, but my body knows if I don't do it. Stretches, followed by my Asthma huffer, followed by Dietary Supplements. If you listen to your body and give it what it needs, it serves you well.

I didn't have to do this when I was young. It's amazing how you can do anything when you are young, and your body just takes it. Not so as you get older. Nurture and be sympathetic to your body and it will take you around the world.



Picnic on the beach

No comments:

Post a Comment