The Greater San Fransisco Area

Continuing my quest to travel the world.

It has been my quest to cycle around the world for a very long time, although I have ticked off 16 countries to date, I still haven't achieved the ultimate goal of cycling the world. I cannot wait any longer for the conditions to be perfect, age is catching up with me, so it is now or never.

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia
After our trip to Vietnam in 2012.

Sunday 4 March 2012

Misery

I don't know who has had the more miserable week. Niel, Bob the cat or me. Well yes I do - Bob the cat.

The newspaper article.


As you all know Niel left on Tuesday, and as you know - we were both miserable at the separation - tears on my behalf, and Niel admits to wanting to cry. however Bob the cat was slowly dying. He hadn't eaten in a week and just curled in a ball and trembled in pain no matter how many strong painkillers he was on. I took him back to the vet and he was in too much pain to eat and his gangrene had spread to his foot and it looked like that would have to be amputated too. He was given stronger pain killers and still went downhill. He had basically given up on life. My heart was breaking - more tears.

Meanwhile Niel was having a miserable time. He missed his flight to Auckland and almost to South America, the boarding gate had closed and after begging they just got him on, but probably not his beloved bike. After a 10 flight to Santiago Chile fretting about his bike and not sleeping he discovered his bike had made it on board after all.

Meanwhile I had to make the agonising decision to ask the vet to amputate Bobs leg to save his life. Copious amounts of tears. But I'd rather have had a 3 legged Bob, than no Bob at all. He survived the surgery - there was a chance he wouldn't because he was so weak and sick. Two days later he was pain free for the first time in over a month, and not throwing up when force feed with a syringe of food.

Niel had made it to Lima, and in the dark, and in a foreign country where no one spoke English, he discovered the hostel he had booked and paid for didn't exist. So he had to find something else. I major downer and he would have given up if he could.

I had to keep  working when all I wanted to do was get Bob home and nurse him to health. Eventually I was able to do that. Somehow I got trough my week of work, somehow Bob managed to eat for himself and is well enough to be let outside for the for first time since his accident. And somehow Niel had got through all his dramas and remained sane enough to keep going.

Still beautiful with 3 legs.

Reaquainting himself with the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment