The Greater San Fransisco Area

Continuing my quest to travel the world.

It has been my quest to cycle around the world for a very long time, although I have ticked off 16 countries to date, I still haven't achieved the ultimate goal of cycling the world. I cannot wait any longer for the conditions to be perfect, age is catching up with me, so it is now or never.

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia
After our trip to Vietnam in 2012.

Saturday 17 March 2012

Time Off.

I've been forced to take some time off work due to my knee. I was in such agony at work, it felt like my knee was melting, yes melting. So I went to the emergency dept of the hospital, and I'm on painkillers and strict instructions to have 3 days off and make an appointment with an orthopaedic surgeon.

 It's the days off bit that's causing the problem. You see, Jim, my boss, is recovering from a hernia operation, and we are all doing extra hours to cover him at work. And have been doing so for 6 weeks now. So you can imagine my forced days off are going down like a lead balloon at work. But there is one thing I can almost guarantee, and that's that I'm in more pain than anyone else there, even Jim [after 6 weeks at home recovering]. Why am I made to feel guilty?? That's the first thing that annoys me.

The second thing that annoys me is that this has all been caused by my bad feet, that the foot doctor refuses to operate on [because I "won't get the desired outcome I'm looking for"]. I've been seeing this doctor for a year. Sure he's worked out what's wrong, but he won't do anything to fix it, and now my knees [yes both] are a mess. I've gone from fit and athletic to a limping, shuffling invalid. I steadfastly refuse to blame it on age. There are lots of fit older people out there, and I'm determined to be one of them. Enough complaining - now for some good news.

Reaching the top.


Niel is powering along - I'm so proud of him. He's almost at the Bolivian border. The Andean climb was arduous to the extreme. The mountains never let up and he was climbing 2,200 metres or about 8,000 feet every day for 5 days. Got caught in a snow blizzard once and having to go hungry often, while suffering the 'runs'. But he made it.

Inca ruins near the city of Cusco, Peru.


In  a few days he will start to descend the Andes and be heading for Paraguay. There's not many towns in Paraguay, so food and accommodation will be an issue there. We are not sure what the wind will do either. It looks like it could be headwinds. The heat from the low lands rushing up to the cold air of the mountains. We will just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment