The Greater San Fransisco Area

Continuing my quest to travel the world.

It has been my quest to cycle around the world for a very long time, although I have ticked off 16 countries to date, I still haven't achieved the ultimate goal of cycling the world. I cannot wait any longer for the conditions to be perfect, age is catching up with me, so it is now or never.

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia
After our trip to Vietnam in 2012.

Friday 19 April 2013

Outrunning a Bear?


There are some things in life that aren’t necessarily pleasant (unless you happen to be good at it), but everyone needs to be able to do, at least at a basic level.  And I am talking about being able to run.

After several years of having difficulty walking, I can finally run. I’m not fast and I can’t go very far, but I CAN run. Back at Christmas time I started walking with my stick, and tried to jog little bits till my knee told me to stop. Now I can run 3kms without stopping, and it doesn’t hurt. That is beyond fantastic. I’m ecstatic.  That may be a pathetic distance to some, but it is awesome to me, as I still have a cartilage tear in one knee and my feet are only half fixed.

Why do I feel this need to run?

No normal human being can outrun a Bear except maybe downhill.
 
 I want to know that I can run from a Bear chasing me. You can’t outrun a Bear, and Niel (beloved husband of mine), says he only has to run faster than me!! However on our trip around the United States, it taught us two things about Bears. They do attack and kill people, if they are hungry enough. And they are hopeless at running downhill. So there you have it. I want to be able to outrun a Bear downhill.


Meanwhile, my cycling is excellent. It’s getting close to winter now, and although the weather is fantastic, it is too cold for shorts now, and the tights have emerged from the bottom of my set of drawers. The lights now festoon my bike, and my new reflective jacket is being well used. Only 2 months to go until our trip across Canada and the US.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment