The Greater San Fransisco Area

Continuing my quest to travel the world.

It has been my quest to cycle around the world for a very long time, although I have ticked off 16 countries to date, I still haven't achieved the ultimate goal of cycling the world. I cannot wait any longer for the conditions to be perfect, age is catching up with me, so it is now or never.

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia
After our trip to Vietnam in 2012.

Sunday 5 May 2013

Don't judge a book by it's cover.


                                          DON’T JUDGE A BOOK BY its COVER.

 

Rugby players, baseball players, and boxers to name a few sportsmen we think of as fit. None of them are small, in fact they’d probably be called overweight, rugby forwards would be obese, but no, they are all sportsmen. Why oh why do people judge me based on my size. I may be overweight, but I’m the fittest I’ve ever been in my life. I’m even fitter than when I was cycle racing and lean and mean.

 

Ritchie Mc Caw – The all black rugby captain, who is idolized as almost god – like, is not trim, to look at him -  he doesn’t even look athletic, let alone a famous sportsman. Mohammed Ali – arguably the most famous boxer of our time, was definitely padded. Many people around the world achieve amazing feats, and they are not lean and mean fighting machines.

 

Last week Niel and I cycled on a 125 km circuit over many hills of various sizes. Back in my racing days it was considered my hardest training ride. I used it as a ride to determine my fitness for an upcoming event. I often ‘hit the wall’, and couldn’t move until I’d rested and got some food and drink down me. If I made it without ‘hitting the wall’, then I deemed myself fit enough for whatever I was training for. Last week, I didn’t even think about it. I didn’t get tired, and I had plenty of energy left when I got home. It wasn’t until this week that I looked back and realized how easy I had found it.

Half way around the 125km circuit.
 

So what if I’m padded – it’s called ‘middle age’ people!! It doesn’t mean I’m any less fit. Do you think that Niel would want to go cycle touring with me if I wasn’t up to standard?

 

So If I hear one more comment like: ‘does Niel take all the gear?’, or ‘do you separate and go different ways?’, or ‘do you ride together?’, then I think I’ll scream. Give credit where it’s due. I am not fat, padded but not fat, and I am not holding Niel back at all. I have done more than most cycle tourists could dream of, and I’m not stopping yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment